Pumpkin pie is synonymous with fall and the holiday season for a variety of reasons. Pumpkins announce the arrival of the best season of the year, which in turn introduces a plethora of delicious fall pies that replace summer’s tired, old fruit pies. In fact, pumpkin pie is so important to the fall season that some Thanksgiving feasts in the early 1700s were postponed a week or so because there wasn’t enough molasses available to make pumpkin pie. With no pumpkin pie, there is no fall.
Since its creation, pumpkin pie has become known for its delicious taste and its relatively easy baking process. The following pumpkin pie recipe only involves whisking ingredients together and pouring it into a partially-baked pie shell. All you need to start are a few simple ingredients:
- Pie Crust
- Brown Sugar (sweetens the filling and adds tons of flavor. Light brown sugar is recommended).
- All-Purpose Flour
- Spices (a blend of ground cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger).
- Pumpkin Puree
- Evaporated Milk
Here is a complete list of ingredients and instructions. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
You might also like: Enjoy Family Time At Lake Placid Olympic Sites
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the pie crust. Roll the dough out to 12-inches in diameter. Transfer the dough to a nine-inch pie plate that is 1 1/2 inches deep. Gently fit dough into the plate and trim excess dough. Transfer to the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes as the oven preheats.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, prick the pie dough’s bottom with a fork. Line the dough with parchment paper or foil. Cover the bottom and fit it snuggly in the corners and the sides. Add pie weights (dried beans or dry rice).
- Bake the pie crust for 15 minutes. Then remove the parchment, or foil, and pie weights. Return pie crust to oven for an additional five minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the filling. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves until combined.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the pumpkin puree and evaporated milk until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together until fully combined.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust. Return to the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Cover the edges of the crust with a pie crust shield or foil to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack for two to three hours.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours after.